22 December 2003,
Hooked On Rock
After beginning the impossible task of ploughing through the undone homework and notes, it is time to � no, not to rest, I�ve said that too many times � speed up. There�s only 10 days more before the curtain falls for 2003 (with the publishing of Time Machine *2003 and a brand new blog template to accompany the release) and the mundane routine at school gets repeated again. Back are the memories of TCHS food, LT 5 stories (from both tutors and students alike) and the mad mugging, memorising, and the much dreaded exercising. But there will be an interesting twist, of course. After all, there will be uniforms of different colours dotting the Hwa Chong landscape. Oh yes, not forgetting Orientation Night!
Some imbecile wrote with disdain in ST (Refer to Youth section, 21/12/2003) of how the War Game was a form of humiliation and ragging from seniors. Not that the game was a personal favourite, but it�s such a prig to say that tomato sauce, starch flour are soooo dirty, and henceforth reject such games, perhaps insinuating that everyone should sit in the hall for one week solely playing �Concentration�-like games. Good or bad, it does leave a lasting impression in your mind. And it is not true that seniors choose to humiliate the young ones, they are just doing this in the name of fun. I can�t believe something that we pride our Orientation for can be derided on a national paper as �humiliate and ragging�.
Anyway, back to the main point. I�m hooked on rock. To be more specific, Mayday. Their songs are good � that�s an understatement. I see myself in the songs, as in, I can relate to the lyrics (written by the band themselves) which is very different from the many commercialised and insincere tracks saturating the market. Plus, they continue to believe in their dream and hobby of playing rock, and in the process, spurn themselves to regional fame from a school-time rock band. That passion, and sincerity, and bond between the members are something so rare and mature that I�m utterly impressed with, and I believe cannot be surpassed by bands like F4 or 5566 (Oops. I better be careful. My sis may be watching me type). They are in a class of their own.
And the (NE) message? Live your dream. Believe in them. But never impose your vision on other people unless you are convinced they are like-minded.
Passion + Intelligence + Determination = Success.
Hopefully, this will apply for my future NDP endeavours.
12:01 am