love actually, 2007
9 February 2004,

Rant About Death

Ripped this off from The Straits Times today by the less than interesting ex-RGSian columnist:

"Lately, I've been thinking it's a good idea to prepare for one's death, since the winged chariot can creep up on you and knock you off unawares. One of the ways to prepare for dying is to organise your own funeral service, I always joke. Choose the songs and music. Choose the flowers. Insist on a dress code (colourful). Write your own eulogy. A friend teased: 'Do you want us to organise a rehearsal while you're lying on your death bed, so you can approve all the arrangements?'"

Reminds me of what I said earlier today about how I've been thinking recently of how my funeral would be conducted. The pessimist side of me tells me that I will have a short life, so it would be best to start planning early. But looking at this morbid view in an alternative perspective, assuming that I have a short life will make me treasure more the time I have on hand, and if you see it positively, it's a good thing since it's not really quantity that matters but quality.

Of course, every human desires a long and fruitful life, who wouldn't? I personally hope to live till at least 2065 to witness Singapore's centenary independence celebrations. 79, still a viable age to breathe on the surface of this Earth. Yet life is unpredictable. I may leave tomorrow, or 50 years later. It is the most certain aspect of life. Perhaps, quoting from Rosencrantz and Guildernstern, "every exit is an entrance to somewhere else", there may be an afterlife. But till I see it for myself, let the mortal self muse about mortal issues.

And talking about life and death, my parents have given a vehement "no" to any idea of climbing mountains (and perhaps travelling overseas without them) even with an elaborate framing of a hypothetical situation to test their reactions. When too much tabloids, hearsay, and those exceptional cases made to look like the norm creep into their heads, they believe every one who climbs a mountain ends up with a 75% of dying.

No, revise that figure UPwards.

And don't even talk about relatives. I havent's seen a single close relative who have given the nod to such adventures, especially since there are so few male cousins around.

I mean I understand their love for their children and stuff - I'm not that unfillial a son. Yet I want to have a taste of the rugged life, and not perpetually living under the shades of protection. I yearn independence. The matter of life and death comes when it comes. No one can prevent it. It's like SARS, for instance. So as long as Heaven blesses me and all safety precautions are done, then it's up to fate to decide my survival or not.

Man, it's going to be 2 mountains I have to climb - the metaphysical one and the physical one.

Frustrated.

10:51 pm







eXTReMe Tracker