love actually, 2007
23 May 2005,

Somewhere Only We Know

It�s strange that the span of 2 years feels like 2 decades. A �whimsical� visit to the �ironic URL blog� uncovers a vast sea of details on lost friendships, old school days and failed outing initiatives. These are memories that I no longer can connect to. Junior College days seem so far away from now. For example I was struggling hard to remember the colour of the set from last year�s Odd Couple after watching Cash On Delivery 2 nights ago.

The buildings may remain (with a new unpopular �institutionalized� name), yet the occupants are different. Hence the feel of the place changes to something unfamiliar. And instantly, we become strangers to this environment that we once knew so well. Which I guess is the reason why I stop going back to my alma maters altogether. Maybe it�s an escapist attitude to change. Rather than confronting it head on, I shelter myself in memories detached from reality.

I was walking down the Esplanade Bridge yesterday. Hearing strains of laughter from the bustling promenade, the soothing waves occasionally interrupted by the tongkangs� motor and the traffic running across the bridge, I wonder if 5 years from now, the scene before me will still be the same. Or will the noisy �integrated resorts� and Ferris wheel be gaudy additions to the serenity of Marina bay?

This is after all my favourite haunt where I meet friends after friends over the past few years. No doubt, change is the only constancy and certainty in this world, but let�s hope this will remain somewhere that you and I will continue to know.

1:38 pm







eXTReMe Tracker