love actually, 2007
11 March 2007,

It’s the beginning of the holidays, not that it’s much, and students will attest to that with their camps, trainings, and lots and lots of homework.

But I am relieved that I cleared all the marking in time to key in results. You should have seen my worktable then – all piled up with journals, assignments and mark sheets.

And this reminds me: I realize local schools are obsessed with results analysis. Numbers are never my forte, so I am utterly confused at the different figures, percentages, percentiles, and the 101 ways you go about interpreting the data.

Personally, I dislike using marks to gauge a student’s performance. Grades are even given for self-learning, determined by those personality-test-like surveys. I would think that comments (which are not generated by templates) would be more sincere and appreciated than generalized benchmarks.

The last day of school was spent teaching with a sore throat and hence, a hoarse voice. Incidentally, it was the day with the most lessons. So it’s not surprising that when school ended, I am starting to lose my faculties of speech, but it wasn’t bad enough that I had to use sign language to speak during MTP (go figure the acronym) after school.

It was an interesting experience, though it took rather long. I saw the last rays of sunlight peeking into the classroom, like a shy girl who wanted to avoid making a presence. It crawled slowly, leaving a tail that grew longer and longer the further it went, as if there was an invisible finishing line just ahead. But it never quite got there, rapidly fading away; its time is up.

The whole classroom was set up like a clinic, except that I didn’t dispense medicine, but assurances, advice and answers. I never went to such sessions when I was in school so this was my first time, and I appreciated the interaction, which revealed to me some unknowing facts that would aid in my teaching.

Anyway, it’s the holidays so I should take a good break and nurse my throat.

P/S: 150 days!

11:53 am







eXTReMe Tracker