19 August 2007,
I had intended to organize a National Day party today, thanks to the rash of birthday parties which sort of got me raved up about having one of my own. So if everything has gone to plan, I would have chartered a double-decker “topless” bus and go down to Marina South with all of you to watch the sky light up with fireworks.
I would serve NeWater, which cuts costs and brings across the theme very well. Perhaps I would have taken a trip down to the Archives to grab copies of those government propaganda posters – Productivity Bee, Singa the Courteous Lion, Sharity the Elephant – and plaster them in the interior. Not forgetting the requisite National Day songs, plus the red-and-white dress code.
But I decided to shelve that plan eventually. Parties are exhausting business, and expensive. If the way I’m spending money these days is anything to go by, I would be declared a bankrupt by December before I run off to China (after escaping the detection of Customs).
That does not mean the plan’s in the bin. Maybe I will use the ideas for my wedding or something.
National Day 2007 may be over for a week but it’s never too late to thank people. And I mean all of you. Thanks for your warm reception to the card and video. I am touched that you have displayed it proudly on your blogs/facebooks/msn, even though it’s unabashedly patriotic. Which seems to prove me right that many Singaporeans out there are closet patriots – they do care for their country though of course they don’t go around saying it every day.
Thanks Andre and gang for the Neil Humphrey book! And yes, BY, National Day is like my second birthday. After all, it is the Day that I look forward to every single year.
Well, with NDP 07 over and done with, it is time to start packing and go – which is always difficult. There seems to be not enough time to say goodbye, partly because the feeling of leaving hasn’t sunk in for me yet. But by the time I am on the plane, it will be too late anyway.
“It’s getting dark and the stores are close
My maps are wrinkled and my coffee’s turned to grey
But I’m on my way, I’m on my way
There seems to be no end in sight but I know I’ll be all right.”
12:29 am